Matthew is a Partner and leader of Ferrier Hodgson’s Forensics practice in Queensland
As a forensic specialist, Matthew’s advice to clients, their legal advisers and the courts helps to resolve high stakes disputes and address business challenges associated with fraud and other non-compliant behaviour.
Prior to joining Ferrier Hodgson in 2014, Matthew held positions up to Director level in the forensic, corporate finance and corporate recovery practices of a major global accounting firm, providing a background in dispute advisory, investigations and integrity risk management, infrastructure and projects, corporate recovery, restructuring and probity.
Matthew is accredited as a business valuation specialist by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
Matthew is the Queensland Forensic Accounting Chair and a member of the Queensland Public Practice Committee for Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
Major recent projects
- Independent expert report quantifying damages in a property joint venture dispute, supported by project feasibility modelling and scenario analysis.
- Consulting expert advice in a litigated project feasibility dispute between mining joint venturers, including a critique of another expert’s report and financial model, involving real options and simulation analysis.
- Preparation of formal submissions on behalf of an institutional bank in a post-investment dispute with an employment services business, for the purposes of expert determination.
- A valuation of shares in a payments processing company for a dispute concerning executive incentive payments.
- Investigation of the largest discovered public sector fraud in Queensland history.
- Investigation of suspected fraud and employee misconduct for a multinational diversified services company.
- Investigation of bribery allegations for an oil and gas construction services company.
- US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act due diligence investigation in the Indonesian automotive industry.
- Investigation of conflicts of interest and unacceptable business practices among mine site contractors for a global resources company.